The Voter Choice Project respects and upholds your rights under the Australian Privacy Principles (APP) contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act). The Voter Choice Project also adheres to the draft Privacy (Market and Social Research) Code 2014 (Code). For more information about the Privacy Act, the APP and the Code please visit the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) website: www.oaic.gov.au.
It is the policy of the Voter Choice Project to respect the privacy of its users. The Voter Choice Project may acquire personal data and information about you which you have provided in the course of participating in Voter Choice Project Activities. This information may include:
- your name, date of birth, current and previous addresses
- email address, telephone number
- your electorate, and
- other information provided in relation to your participation in specific Voter Choice Project Activities.
You can choose not to supply us with any part of this information although this may limit the level of service we can provide. We always allow the option of emailing email@example.com for those who are not comfortable using online forms, however, that information may still be entered into databases that can be accessed online.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be totally secure. Although the Voter Choice Project strives to protect your personal information, it cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you may transmit to the Voter Choice Project.
The Voter Choice Project will never share or disclose any personal information about you without your prior consent.
When visiting the Voter Choice Project website, the site server makes a record of the visit and logs the following information for statistical and administrative purposes:
- the user’s server address – to consider the users who use the site regularly and tailor the site to their interests and requirements
- the date and time of the visit to the site – this is important for identifying the website’s busy times and ensuring maintenance on the site is conducted outside these periods
- pages accessed and documents downloaded – this indicates to the Social Research Centre which pages or documents are most important to users and also helps identify important information that may be difficult to find
- duration of the visit – this indicates to us how interesting and informative the Social Research Centre site is to candidates; the type of browser used – this is important for browser specific coding, and
- in order to optimise the website and better understand its usage, we collect the visiting domain name or IP address, Computer Operating System, Browser Type and Screen Resolution.
The Voter Choice Project undertakes only to use the data you supply to us according to the following conditions:
- We will not rent or sell any data which may personally identify you to any third party.
- You will never receive communications from any third party as a result of participating in Voter Choice Project Activities, unless you specifically opt to do so.
- Any data disclosed to third parties will only be supplied in a form that no party external to Voter Choice Project could use to personally identify you, or to contact you by any means (i.e. completely anonymised).
- The Voter Choice Project undertakes to store your personal data securely. The accessing and processing of personal data by Voter Choice Project personnel will be restricted to business requirements including, but not necessarily limited to:
- Research and analysis
- Panel studies
- Technical processing
- Addressing of queries, technical problems or complaints
- You have the option to publicly disclose certain information related to your participation in Voter Choice Project Activities (for example, by sharing said information on social media). You are fully responsible for any information related to Voter Choice Project Activities which you disclose and you fully indemnify the Voter Choice Project against all activities (including for the avoidance of doubt, the activities of persons other than yourself) that occur in association with the sharing of Voter Choice Project Activities.
- We cannot ensure that private communication and other identifiable personal data will never be disclosed in ways not described in this policy. By way of example (without limiting the foregoing) we may be forced to disclose the data to a government agency lawfully requesting the same or to any court acting in pursuance of its powers. We reserve the right to and you hereby agree to allow us to disclose any information about you to police, government officials or to any court or court officials when compelled to do so by law.
The Voter Choice Project welcomes feedback about privacy issues and will attend to all questions and complaints promptly. You can contact us about any privacy issues by email at firstname.lastname@example.org